The history of Mais Alghanim Restaurant dates back to the previous century when our founding father Edmond Barakat (Abu Emile), opened a canteen for the employees of Yusuf Ahmed Alghanim & Sons Co., called “Mess Alghanim”.
Over time, strong ties and personal relations grew between Abu Emile, Kuwaiti, and Expatriate Families extending over three phases and three generations. The first phase commenced in 1953 during which complete meals and take-away services were offered transforming the canteen into a restaurant for one and all.
In 1974, Emile Barakat (Abu Edmond) presided over the business from his late father marking the beginning of the second phase. Under his leadership, the restaurant moved to the old Kuwait television station in 1987 where it was registered at the Ministry of Commerce and Industry in the name of Yusuf Ahmed Alghanim & Sons Co. It was at this time that the name was changed from“Mess Alghanim” to “Mais Alghanim”.
Abu Edmond’s vision brought Mais Alghanim forward into the beginning of the third phase in 2003, to its present location, a building of true traditional Kuwaiti design, preserving the heritage and genuine tradition. With further development of this phase, Mais Alghanim continued the journey of hospitality by opening its doors to welcome guests at a new location in Mahboula in 2010. Hence, after more than 50 years of successful service, the late Abu Edmond’s brothers and eldest son continue to welcome you with the same spirit through Generations of Genuine Hospitality, and Good Food